This is our largest Cosplay event of the weekend.
The Cosplay Royale is judged on quality and stage presence.
- Exhibition: This category is for entrants that did not make their own costume or made less than 50%.
- Beginner Craftsmanship: This category is for entrants that have never won a costume award before or have been making costumes for a few years or less.
- Intermediate Craftsmanship: This category is for entrants that may have won a few awards before, have won an award equivalent to “Best Beginner”, or have been making costumes for a few years or more.
- Master Craftsmanship: This category is for entrants that have won several awards, have won an award equivalent to “Best Intermediate”, or have been making costumes for many years.
The Judges may bump you up a class if they feel you qualify for a higher award.
HOW TO ENTER
- YOU MUST HAVE A WEEKEND PASS
- Online pre-enrollment will open 2 months in advance and will close 1 week before Cosplacon weekend if slots are not already full. Online-enrolled entrants will be contacted with their specific pre-judging time before the convention.
- Only craftsmanship entries will be eligible for online pre-enrollment. You’ll be required to send 2-3 work in progress photos of your costume to show you are working on the costume and will have it finished before Cosplacon.
- If there are any remaining spots open after online pre-enrollment closes, signup will be available from Thursday until Friday evening (or until all available spots have been filled) at Cosplacon Information Table.
- We will accept no more than 40 entries, so please plan ahead!
- No late entries will be allowed.
- If you miss or are late to your pre-judging time slot, it is up to the judges on whether or not they can squeeze you in after the other entrants.
No costume is NO COSTUME!
While many anime characters wear what could be termed "street clothes", a single character in regular everyday clothing isn't very engaging and thus, is disqualified. However, if this character is part of a group performance or elaborate props are involved, this entry will be evaluated by the judges who will make the final judgement on eligibility.
All costumes need to be tasteful. The bare minimum of coverage that will be allowed at the event will be the equivalent of a bikini. This means body paint, latex pasties, etc. are NOT considered adequate body coverage and additional clothing MUST be worn over them. Thongs are NOT allowed unless covered by shorts, skirts, capes, etc. Men must wear a dancer’s belt if wearing a spandex bodysuit or similar thin/tight costume pieces.
Cosplay Royale is an ALL-AGES event. The Cosplay should be considered PG-13 rated event, at the most. If you have a question about your costume or stage performance, please feel free to ask the Cosplacon Staff if it is considered acceptable.
All entries must be able to get on and off the stage safely on their own.
There are 3 – 4 stairs required to reach the stage and you must be able to navigate them without assistance.
For safety reasons, items such as confetti, fireworks, glitter, flash paper, rose petals, water, and other small messy objects are strictly forbidden to be brought onto the stage area.
When on stage, non-firing toy weapons will be allowed without peace bonding but be aware that any "live" weapons will result in immediate eviction from the stage and the convention.
No food, animals, or remote-controlled devices are allowed on stage.
No throwing items into the crowd. You'll put someone's eye out!
No crazy acrobatics such as jumps and cartwheels. A foot must be on the stage at all times.